Today the celebration of my blog turning one continues with another giveaway!! This one is US only (Don’t worry my international friends, the international giveaway will happen NEXT WEEK!).
What is this week’s giveaway? A box of books, bookish goodies, and MORE:
Here are the books:
Three of the four have been reviewed on this site:
- The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
- One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline
- Looks to Die For by Janice Kaplak
PLEASE NOTE: The Chosen One is a new copy, the others are used.
Other goodies you will receive:
A cute tote bag featuring the book I Dissent. (I did my best to make sure all the cat hair is off this!)
Various bookish swag, a bracelet, 2 bath bombs (cucumber melon scented), and some candy to eat while you read!
Enter the giveaway here (Again, US ONLY)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
**Good luck to everyone who enters!! This giveaway ends Saturday at 12am EST!**
Today is Jessica’s Reading Room’s first birthday! It’s hard to believe I began this a year ago and I am still going. I started my blog for me first and it though may not be a blog with a huge following (which I am fine with) I still do have people looking at what I do and this is great! There is so much I have learned in this first year:
- The blogging community is great! Everyone is so nice, supportive, and most of all helpful! We all want to see everyone succeed. Get to know other bloggers, they can become friends too.
- Yes, you will get behind in blogging. I am still working on catching up on my books for review. It will happen, it will just take me some time. I am not requesting from NetGalley anymore until I catch up!
- Blogging takes up A LOT of time. I had no idea when I started this that almost all of my free time will become devoted to it. Yes, I am still having fun with it. This is like a part time job, and after working at my full time job there seems to be almost no time left.
- I’m not on many publisher’s radar yet, which is fine (see above about time again) but in this year I have come to love St. Martin’s Press and KCP Loft.
- Take a chance on things! Do approach publishers and authors for books, interviews, etc. Don’t worry about getting ‘no’ for an answer because you may actually get a “yes”! Any review or interview, etc and author and their book gets helps them! My blog was just a baby of a few weeks old when I approached my favorite author Heather Gudenkauf about an interview. She said yes too it! I could hardly believe it. That was a dream come true for me!
- Don’t worry about saying ‘no’ to authors and publishers. We only have so much time in a day and we can’t say yes to every book, interview, etc. We still have to have a life to live. This can be hard, especially if it is a book you want to read!
It’s hard to believe I have over 120 followers on this blog! Here is where else you can find me:
If you would like, give me a follow on these social medias! I love my followers!
I also recently added a Guest Reviewer named Kim. The post about her joining Jessica’s Reading Room is here. She’s doing a great job so far! I like that she reads different books from me, so we can cover a wider range of books!
To celebrate, I will be having a few giveaways over the next few weeks. Most of these will be US only, but my last one WILL be international. (I’m sorry to my international folks, shipping is costly.)
What will my first giveaway for this celebration be? The lovely Wendy Brant has donated a SIGNED hardback copy of her debut novel Zenn Diagram, a Zenn Diagram bookmark AND sticker! Thank you so much for donating these items Wendy! I enjoyed this novel and awarded it a 5 star review which is here. The giveaway will last all week and ends on the 22nd at midnight. I will contact the winner shortly afterward. **This is USA ONLY.
Again, USA ONLY for this giveaway:
Thank so much to everyone who has supported me and been with me throughout this first year. Let’s hope I keep it going for many more! Enter the giveaway and have some cake with me celebrating one year!
Jessica’s Reading Room is growing! I am excited to announce I am adding a Guest Reviewer: Her name is Kim and I can’t wait for her to get started on reviews! She reads many more books than I, and they are different from the ones I tend to read. I think she will be a great fit and we can cover more books this way! She will also be giving 100% honest reviews and it will be her opinion, popular or not! And if we happen to read the same book you will get a double review post. We are already planning for this to happen, hopefully in August. Kim’s first review on Jessica’s Reading Room will be next week!
Without further ado, meet Kim!:
My name is Kim and I live in Jacksonville, NC. My husband is a Physician Assistant and we have a sweet kitty cat, named Joad Christopher.
I’ve been reading my whole life, but it wasn’t until 2012 that I started taking reading seriously. I discovered Goodreads, I started keeping track of the books I’d read, and I listed out my current reads for my students that I was teaching at the time. I started picturing and reviewing my books on Instagram back in January, along with posting monthly book hauls. Not gonna lie, Instagram is my new favorite!
I read most genres within fiction, though I do throw in an occasional history book. I read mostly physical books, but I’m constantly listening to audiobooks whenever I’m in the car.
My favorite author of all time is John Steinbeck. I also love Mary Kay Andrews, Leigh Bardugo, Robert K. Massie, Susanna Kearsley, Ransom Riggs, Elizabeth Kostova, Robert Beatty, Jojo Moyes, JK Rowling, Madeleine Roux, Ruta Sepetys, and Robert Alexander. My non-fiction ususally runs toward Holocaust, WW2, and Russian history. I’m also a sucker for any book about asylums or psychiatric institutions.
I will admit that I stole this next part from Jessica, so hopefully she doesn’t mind! Books are rated on a 5 star scale:
1 star- I did not like the book
2 stars- It was ok/ it wasn’t terrible
3 stars- It was good/ I liked it
4 stars- I really liked it
5 stars- I loved the book and was blown away/it was amazing
**Most books tend to get a four star rating from me. I don’t often give a five star rating; when I do it is well deserved. Rarer still is a one or two star rating.
You can find me here:
Goodreads: Kim Friant
**Let’s all give Kim a big welcome to Jessica’s Reading Room!**